Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Little Things



This afternoon, I was reminded about some of the little things in life that I would call annoying. Now, before I start, friends of mine would probably say that I'm a whiner, or a complainer, but let me say this, I may complain, occasionally, but while these little things are happening, you wouldn't have a clue that I was bothered. I would say that teaching teenagers, if nothing else, has taught me patience.

It started on my drive home. I purposely left practice early so I could get a jump on traffic. Yesterday I left almost an hour later and the traffic was pretty good, so I figured I would leave even earlier and just fly home. As soon as I got on the highway, I was greeted by an endless sea of break lights. Apparently the 3:30 rush hour was in full effect. Who gets out of work that early? Apparently a lot of people. Already impatient, and annoyed, I immediately got off.

Now, any experienced highway driver, something I would consider myself, knows that this is a mistake. Unless there is an accident blocking all lanes of traffic and even the shoulders, getting off the highway usually means a longer trip. Being the gambling man I am, I rolled the dice. There is nothing more frustrating then sitting on a side street, next to the highway, and watching the cars up above zip by. I had made a mistake, and I was annoyed, with myself, more then anything else.

When I finally got home, I decided to work out at the gym that I pay 50 dollars a month for, and have only gone once in the last 3 months. Being a math teacher, I know that's A LOT OF MONEY per workout. On the walk over, I realized that during my 150 dollar one time work out, I was also nice enough to donate my lock to the gym. For a moment, I took this as a sign and almost headed back for the couch, but instead, I hooked a left into the corner walgreens.

In a hurry to get to my workout, I grabbed the lock and proceeded to the counter. The line was 6 people deep, and the checkout lady was in no apparent hurry. This annoys me. Ok, you're miserable, why bring everyone else with you? Anyways, I waited patiently, for the barely moving checkout lady to pout through her job. Finally, I got up to register, with just the lock in my hand, and what did she do? She decides to refill her bag rack. I mean, come on, couldn't that wait for someone who needed a bag? Several minutes later, she checkedme out, and asked me if I needed a bag. With a smile, I politely said,"no". After she gave me my change I thanked her, and she said.... NOTHING!

Traffic and unhappy check out people annoy me.

No comments: